Malta Yacht Registration – Pricing (in Euros)
How long does it take to register under the Maltese flag?
If all documentation is supplied, it will take about 2/3 days to receive the provisional certificate.
What are the advantages of flying the Maltese Flag?
- Reputable and internationally recognised ship register.
- European Flag with a long maritime tradition
- In only 2/3 days you receive the provisional registration certificate so you can start sailing already.
- Marriages can be officiated onboard Maltese ships
What are my obligations under the Maltese Flag
- Raise the Maltese national flag
- Raise the courtesy flag of the country where you are sailing
- Indicate the name of your boat and homeport in letters on the backside of the boat or the sides if there is no space
- The Maltese Flag register has to be renewed every 1 year
- Be current with your tax payments (VAT, local taxes, etc..)
- All local maritime rules still apply, speed, navigation areas etc..
I am not European.
You can still apply for the Maltese Registration, we can set up a Maltese company for you and you will be the owner of the Maltese company and the Maltese company will be the owner of the vessel. The formation of a Maltese company is a straightforward operation; there are no nationality requirements as to both the shareholders and directors. Or another possibility that we appoint a resident agent for you. For more information please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility for registration
All types of vessels, from pleasure yachts to oil rigs, including vessels under construction, may be registered, provided that, they are wholly owned by legally constituted corporate bodies or entities irrespective of nationality, or by European Union citizens. Vessels less than 6 meters cannot be registered with the Maltese International Registration. The formation of a Maltese company is a straightforward operation; there are no nationality requirements as to both the shareholders and directors.
Do I have to pay VAT?
Yes, VAT is a European tax and sailing under a different flag doesn’t exempt you from paying VAT, in fact in order to apply for the Maltese registration proof of payment of VAT is mandatory. when you buy a new boat it should show on the bill of sale, if you buy second hand the VAT should have been paid by the previous owner. Ask for proof of this VAT payment when buying the boat.