Restrictions on certain vessels
There are no age restrictions on pleasure yachts or yachts registered under the commercial yacht code.
Note on older vessels:
- Vessels of 15 years and over, but under 20 years must pass an inspection by an authorised flag state inspector before or within a month of provisional registration end
- Vessels of 20 years and over but less than 25 years must pass an inspection by an authorised flag state inspector prior to being provisionally registered.
- Vessels of 25 years and over require express permission by the authorities to be registered.
Pleasure Vessel Registration In Malta
Documents required for the Pleasure Registration of a vessel:
- Original memorandum and articles of owning a company, only incase the owner of the vessel is a company
- Recent good standing certificate of owning company, only incase the owner of the vessel is a company
- Previous ITC (if vessel over 24 meters in length) - in case of new build ITC issued by the builder.
- Declaration of antifouling (if vessel is over 24 meters length)
Documents required for permanent registration:
- Original Builders Certificate (in case of new building)
- Original bill of sale
- Original certificate of survey
- ITC (if the vessel is over 24 meters in length)
- Carving and marking note duly signed
- Original deletion certificate
- Surrender the original provisional certificate
Survey, tonnage and convention certificates may be issued on behalf of the Malta government by the following recognised organisations:
American Bureau of Shipping, Bureau Veritas, China Classification Society, ClassNK, DNV-GL, Korean Register of Shipping, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping, Polish Register of Shipping, Registro Italiano Navale and Russian Maritime Register of Shipping.
REGISTRATION FOR NON EU/EAA SWISS NATIONAL
- If the owner of the ship is an NON EU / EEA / Swiss national, a registration of resident agent in Malta is mandatory, we will assist you with that. We require a declaration appointing us as Malta resident agent (notarized and apostilled) and a certified copy of owner’s passport (notarised and apostilled).
- If the owner of the ship is a Maltese company created by us, we will provide all the required documentation.
- If the owner of the ship is a foreign corporate entity, a registration of resident agent in Malta is mandatory, we will assist you with that. Please see below which documents are necessary in order to register your vessel with the Maltese Registration.
1) Legal opinion, duly notarised and apostilled, confirming that the corporate records of the corporate body/entity have been examined and giving the details of the directors and holders of office and of persons authorised to represent the corporate body/entity and to bind it with their signature and to appoint a resident agent in Malta
2) Original Memorandum and Articles of Association/Articles of Incorporation (or certified true copies attached to the legal opinion on the contents of the Memorandum and/or Articles)
3) Certified true copy of the Incorporation certificate
4) Good Standing Certificate (Original or certified copy) (dated the same as the POA)
5) Certified copy of a valid passport of the Director of the Directors of the Owning Company
Commercial Vessel Registration in Malta
Documents required for the provisional registration for commercial vessels:
- Inspection Report
- Radio Report
- Radio Application
- MLC Compliance Certificate
- Certificate of Survey
- Previous tonnage certificate
- Previous certificate of survey (if applicable)
- International antifouling certificate
- International load line certificate
- Application for registration
- Declaration of ownership
- Safe manning application form
- Certified copy of previous registration certificate
Documents required for permanent commercial registration:
- Original bill of sale (dated before the provisional registration)
- Original Builders certificate
- Original deletion certificate
- International tonnage certificate obo Malta
- Certificate of Survey obo Malta
- Carving and Marking note
- Surrender of provisional registration certificate