In Montenegro, boats are registered with the Maritime Safety Administration (MSA). The MSA is responsible for registering boats, issuing certificates of registration, and enforcing maritime regulations.
Individuals or companies may choose to register their boats under the flag of Montenegro for various reasons
Convenient location: Montenegro is located in a convenient location for boating activities in the Adriatic Sea, making it an attractive choice for boat registration.
Favorable regulations: Montenegro has favorable regulations for boat registration, including lower fees and fewer requirements compared to other countries.
International recognition: Montenegro is a member of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and is a signatory to various international maritime conventions, which provides international recognition of its registered boats.
Access to services: Registered boats in Montenegro have access to various services, such as maritime safety services, port facilities, and other boating-related services.
Protection of rights: Registering a boat under the flag of Montenegro provides protection of the rights of the boat owner and helps to resolve disputes in the event of an accident or other issue.
Affordable prices: Low registration fees and the chance to obtain interim documents valid for up to three months.
Montenegro Boat Registration Advantages:
- Cost-effectiveness: Montenegro offers one of the most cost-effective flag registration options in Europe, with low registration and annual fees.
- Simple registration process: The registration process is straightforward and can be completed quickly, with minimal paperwork requirements.
- EU recognition: Montenegro is a candidate country for EU membership, and its flag is recognized by the EU. Vessels registered under the Montenegro flag can operate in EU waters without any additional formalities.
- Tax benefits: Montenegro has a favorable tax regime for registered vessels, with no value-added tax (VAT) on the sale or purchase of boats and no VAT on yacht charters.
- Reputation: Montenegro's flag is considered to be a reputable and reliable flag, which can enhance the vessel's reputation.
- Access to international waters: Montenegro has access to international waters, allowing boats registered under its flag to operate globally without restrictions.
Who can register?
In Montenegro, boat registration is open to all individuals and entities, regardless of nationality.
What is the procedure?The simple paperwork is required:
- Suggest the name of the yacht
- A copy of your passport
- A company registration document (Applicable for registrations to be done under the company name)
- A copy of bill of sale/Sale purchase contract (Notarized)
- Insurance certificate
- Builder’s certificate
- CE certificate
- Copy of deletion (If the boat was registered previously) Processing time:
We can provide you the provisional registration (valid for 3 months) within 5-7 business days, and the originals will be provided within a month.
The Montenegro registration is valid for 3 years. It is generally limited to the territorial waters of Montenegro.
The boat registration certificate in Montenegro can be in either a paper format or an electronic format. The Maritime Safety Administration (MSA), which is responsible for issuing the registration certificates, may offer both options to boat owners.
If a paper format is requested, the certificate will be printed on high-quality, water-resistant paper and will include all the necessary information, such as the boat name, identification number, owner information, and specifications. The certificate may also include security features, such as watermarks, holograms, or special printing techniques, to prevent counterfeiting or tampering.
If an electronic format is requested, the certificate will be stored in an electronic database and can be accessed online by the boat owner and authorized authorities. The electronic certificate will include the same information as the paper certificate and may be printed out as needed.