San Marino Boat Registration – Register your Yacht under San Marino FlagThe San Marino Ship Register (SMSR) is a new registration that opened in July, 2021 that offers vessel registration and flag administration for the Republic of San Marino. The Republic of San Marino has been a member of the IMO since 2002 and has ratified all major maritime international conventions. We highly recommend this new registry if you are looking for a fast, inexpensive registration with a reputable European flag that is valid for 5 years.
The San Marino Ship Register has become an active member in the maritime sector, launching the registration of pleasure and commercial vessels to an international audience. The Registry operates by the highest standards of compliance with national and international regulations for the safety of navigation. Moreover, registration in San Marino offers advantageous taxation regimes and competitive pricing tailored to different target customers.
The San Marino ship registration is available for the registration of vessels in private and commercial use of any size. Their main selling points will be a fast 48-hour registration process, attractive fees and tax regimes, and no restrictions based on nationality. It is their goal to offer an efficient and simple boat registration which includes digital access to certification, 24-hour global support, and a quality customer service with quick response times.
The San Marino ship registration operates in full compliance with national and international fiscal regulations and cooperate fully with the competent authorities. San Marino is a white flag and the registry envisages limited inspections of its vessels by port state control. White flags are generally viewed in a favourable light by third parties such as insurance companies or RightShip. San Marino has no restrictions on the nationality of owners or seafarers.
What are the main advantages of flying the San Marino flag registration?
- The registration can be done fast. You will receive your provisional in 48 hours already!
- The cost of registration is low. They start from €525,- for boats up to 10 meters.
- No yearly renewals! The registration is valid for 5 years.
- No survey is needed if your vessel is under 24 meters and for private use.
- Paperwork and bureaucracy are reduced to the minimum necessary to satisfy international requirements.
- San Marino allows for commercial registration without differentiating between charter with and without crew.
- San Marino allows vessels in private use to be temporarily engaged in trade for a period up to 90 days.
- San Marino allows for commercial registration to be temporarily suspended in order to switch to private use, with a simple online procedure.
How long does it take to register a vessel in San Marino?
The San Marino ship register is very fast and efficient. This means that you can receive your provisional registration in 48 hours. This provisional registration will be sent by email and will already be valid for use. You will then receive the official registration within a couple of weeks.
Do I need have an official survey done?
If your yacht is under 24 meters and used only for private use a survey is not required. You will receive only have to fill in a self-assessment form which we will provide to you.
How much does it cost to register a private boat in San Marino?San Marino has a very competitive flag registration. The validation period is for a 5 years and the cost depend on the size of your vessel:
Vessel up to 10 meters in length for private use:
Registration (valid 5 years, no annual fees) €525,-
Our service fee for handling the application process for you €250,-
Vessel from 10 meters to 24 meters in length for private use:
Registration (valid 5 years, no annual fees): €1600,-
San Marino Small Yacht Safety Certificate of Compliance: €500,-
Ship Radio Station Licence: €200,-
Our service fee for handling the application process for you: €250,-
Ship Radio Station license in San Marino?
Yes, we can obtain a Ship Radio Station Licence for you without having to do any courses.
Who can register a vessel in San Marino?The San Marino registry is an open registry. This means that private owners from any nationality, can register their vessel as well as companies from around the world. So, if your vessel is currently owned by a UK LTD or Delaware LLC for example, you can continue to use these ownership companies and register your boat in San Marino.
You are required to have a local resident agent to be your San Marino point of contact if you are not a San Marino resident or not a San Marino company. We work with a reputable law firm in San Marino and there fee for being your official registered agent in San Marino is only €100,- per year (€500,- for the 5 years validation of your license). The registration is therefor possible for private and company owned vessels and for all nationalities!
I want to register my boat, as company owned but don’t have a company yet?
Let us setup a UK LTD. or Delaware LLC for the ownership of your vessel. We can setup either of these entities for you for a fee of $300,- and this entity will then become the owner of your vessel. We will make a bill of sale were you as a private person sell your boat to your new company (of which you are the owner).
Since the new company is only used for owning a boat, you will not need to pay any yearly taxes or do any government filings. There will just be a small renewal fee for the company registration.
What documents are needed for a boat registration in San Marino?The documents needed are slightly different depending if you register as a private owner or a non San Marino company versus if you register as a San Marino resident or San Marino Company.
If the owner is an individual who is not resident in San Marino or a foreign company:
- Chamber of commerce company registration,
- Appointment of San Marino Resident Agent form (attached),
- If private owner - passport of the applicants; OR
- If boat is company owned - Incorporation certificate and passport of the applicants.
If the owner is an individual who is resident in San Marino or a company established in San Marino:
- San Marino ID for individuals; or San Marino Chamber of commerce company registration and passport of the applicants.
Important documents you need to send us a copy of:
- Application for registration form ‣ (we take care of this)
- Application for Ship Radio Station Licence ‣ (we take care of this)
- Appointment of San Marino Resident Agent form ‣ (we take care of this)
- Power of Attorney, where applicable ‣ (we take care of this)
- Copies of insurance policies ‣ (you need to send us a copy)
- Builder’s certificate, or bill of sale ‣ (you need to send us a copy)
- Deletion certificate / closed transcript from the previous flag ‣ (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
Optional documents if applicable or available:
- Any mortgage deeds against the vessel ‣ (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
- Previous International Tonnage Certificate (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
- Charter Agreement (demise charter) ‣ (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
- Copy of suspension or letter of approval by the underlying flag (demise charter) ‣ (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
- Certificate of Class ‣ (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
- Previous Continuous Synopsis Records ‣ (if applicable - you need to send us a copy)
- Appointment of an authorised surveyor or RO for the issuance of statutory certificates ‣ (if a vessel is used for private use only )
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not mandatory for private yachts under 24 meters. It is sufficient to fill-in a self-assessment form to obtain the safety certificate. This is a major advantage of the San Marino registration as this means you do not have to have a time consuming and expensive survey done on your vessel.